Chapter One: Men are trash
[ _ j u m p t o p l a y l i s t _ ]
Imagine the scene: it’s an average morning, you’re eating your cornflakes and casually wasting your life away scrolling through your app of choice when this message pops up:
Well, I didn’t.
But, never one to leave a pal hanging I jumped straight on it and started flinging in every song I could think of starting with Men are Trash by Tebi Rex.
This song, fuck me, it makes me chuckle so much and it’s so catchy and accurate and e x a c t l y the kind of song for when you need to laugh/cry about your dumb romantic situation. This gem of a song was on my discover weekly playlist in March 2018 (Any song I like from my discover weekly playlist goes in a ‘Discovered’ playlist so I know where I found it – yes I am aware I am a dork) and I knew from the first listen it was gold.
The ‘Men are Trash’ playlist is a v i b e. The musical genres are all over the place, with it veering from Rihanna to Martha Wainwright to Yeah Yeah Yeahs to Jack off Jill and then some. Of course the overarching themes are men* are indeed trash, see:
- Kelis ‘Caught Out There‘ [choice lyric: I hate you so much right now – I mean it had to be right?]
- Peaches ‘Dumb Fuck‘ [choice lyric: Ya dumb fuck, ya dumb fuck (dumb fuck)]
- The Regrettes ‘Seashore‘ [choice lyric: I’m like nobody else, so you can just go fuck yourself ]
- Kate Nash ‘Foundations‘ [choice lyric: You said I must eat so many lemons ‘Cause I am so bitter // I said “I’d rather be with your friends, mate ‘Cause they are much fitter”]
But I also felt it necessary to also pepper the playlist with songs to bolster the soul and be a fuck you to, well, whoever, see:
- Cardi B ‘I Do‘ [choice lyric: Pussy so good, I say my own name during sex]
- Little Simz ‘Boss‘ [choice lyric: I’m a boss in a fucking dress]
- Nelson Can ‘Move Forward‘ [choice lyric: Even if you can’t run // If you can’t walk // If you can’t crawl // Move forward]
- Joy Crookes ‘Man’s World‘ [which closes out with a snippet of Earth Kitt diminishing an interviewer for asking if she would compromise for a man “A man comes into my life and I have to compromise? Ha! Stupid!“]
And of course no playlist about trash would be complete without a track from Beyonce’s Lemonade.
*Although the playlist is called men are trash, lyrical content and vibes can be applied to trash of any gender or sexual persuasion.
Additionally get in the fucking bin if you are considering ‘not all men-ing’ me with this shit.